Monday, March 10, 2014

Lego Creation: Spirit of Fire


Visit Kelso's WIP journals to follow the construction of this model.

This beauty took Mark Kelso four years (and I'm certain, all of his poor family's patience) to finish.  The final product is just staggeringly impressive.  This, my friends, is a true work of fan devotion.  I hope one day to read about someone over at 343 Industries giving this boy some much deserved recognition.

In the Halo game series the UNSC Spirit of Fire is a massive military vessel over 2.5 kilometers long.  Basically, it's a portable intergalactic city.  However, you can't truly appreciate the design of the ship until until to you've seen it "miniaturized," because it's not until you start considering how to capture its intricacies that you really start to appreciate just how much thought must go into this game model.  To set out to build this by hand takes some serious dedication... or mental illness.  But who am I to judge?

This model measures seven feet in length.  He's dubbed the ship "Eye of Chaos," explaining that this model is a sister ship to Halo's Spirit of fire, rather than an exact replica, but to my eyes, the two are close enough to make no difference.
"Over FOUR *insert explicative* YEARS LATER, we finally come to the end of one of THE most challenging endeavors of my life. Oddly enough, it wasn’t the construction of the ship that turned out to be the biggest challenge, but life itself.

I won’t bore you with the details, but suffice to say the moment I finally locked the final brick in place (January 27, 2014 at 2:07 pm, but who’s keeping track?) was an accomplishment that I’ll never be able to fully put into words. Yes, it’s just Lego. And to others, it’s just another Lego SHIP among a sea of mind-blowing creations. But, for me it was about having the tenacity to keep getting back up, no matter how many times life knocked me down, to see this bloody project through to its completion! Chris, you were right. This really was my own personal “There and Back again.”"
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...