Friday, September 12, 2014

Short Film: The Captivus



The Captivus, a sci-fi short film from the workshop of Casey Tebo, a Boston-area filmmaker who spent years filming Aerosmith concerts and videos, is a clever story with an intelligent twist set in a spaceship made entirely out of scrap material. In less than fifteen minutes, Casey clearly demonstrates his talents in both filmmaking and storytelling, creating a believable environment enriched with numerous original details and spicing it up with an ending that puts all of the pieces together. Two thumbs up for the vision and execution!
"One ship. Two friends. Six Years. Something has to give."
"Sci-Fi is my favorite genre, my daughter’s name is Ripley (Aliens) and my son’s Dutch (predator), ha! And I was tired of the same run-of-the-mill sci-fi, with flashy graphics, and sqeaky clean space suits (this is why I loved DISTRICT 9) so I wanted to deconstruct that a bit. I was always a huge fan of Hitchcock and The Twilight Zone, things like amazing stories, so I wanted to make a short that was my tip of the hat to material like that. I wanted things broken, old, dirty, I wanted it to look used, and I didn’t have any money! So, what better way, then to use stuff from the dump! EVERYTHING inside that spaceship, cables, old hospital equipment, is from the Boston city dump. I wanted all the ship’s graphics to look archaic, so I did everything in Final Cut Pro, then exported each frame through an action in Adobe Photoshop that made it look 8-bit, I think it’s really cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...