Monday, March 17, 2014

Sweets: The Thing Cake


"The Thing Cake" by San Francisco artist Vicky Knoop

Most of the super awesome cakes we post here on The Geek Art Gallery are wedding cakes, and my first thought upon seeing this photo was that this was destined to be a very, very rocky marriage.  Much to my relief, though, it turned out to be a birthday cake.  Maybe not the best message to send on a day when one is contemplating one's own mortality, but I'm bookmarking it for future Halloween party inspiration.
"For my boyfriend's birthday I wanted to make a crazy cake in the sci-fi/horror direction. Initially I wanted to do the cryogenically frozen head of Commander Powell from Dark Star, but a couple of friends said it was too esoteric, and were right. So talking it over, figured out that The Thing would be somewhat more recognizable. I basically sculpted the faces out of fondant on rice crispy treat and then plopped them on top of a cake and finished off the edges. It took about two and a half days to complete. Ten hours or so on the faces and another six or so to sculpt and paint the sides."





"I made a cake based on John Carpenters "The Thing" for a birthday of a fan of 80's scifi and horror. This is a time lapse of sculpting the rice cripsy that went under the faces."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...