Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Gaming Round-Up: March 4, 2014

Mario 25th Anniversary by David Velásquez



Emma Vossen does a bit of personal history, thinking through how her modes of interaction with female characters as a child has formed her.  "I don’t think we really realized we had options, and we didn’t always know what was out there until we got the internet. I think the main reason I didn’t realize that games weren’t really for me was  because I had the benefit of living with a male sibling who liked both sharing, and more importantly, playing games together."

Eriq Martin takes a look at what IGN contributors and community members think Makes the Perfect Video Game. "The perfect video game is not the one that has the best story, the best graphics or the best gameplay."


Gamma Squad lists 15 Fascinating Facts You May Not Know About Castlevania.

Jordan Shapiro, author of FREEPLAY: A Video Game Guide to Maximum Euphoric Bliss, offers his thoughts on How To Think Critically About Video Games over at Forbes, citing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze as an example.


Laura Kirsop lauds A video game protagonist that finally made me feel human. "Although women make up nearly half of all gamers, only a fraction of videogame characters are female, and fewer still are playable. Maybe that's why I felt so shocked when I played Left Behind, the newest chapter of the award-winning survival game The Last of Us."

Mat Jones has a wonderful article on "The Real ABCs of Games Journalism."

Moving Pixels Podcast discussed the endings of Grand Theft Auto V.

Play the Past ran a week of columns of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, most notably a tribute to the women of the franchise.

The Recorder has a brief piece on Minecraft being used in the classroom.

Take my ax — and my broom: How creative weapons improve video games


You weren’t as good at video games as you remember


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...