Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crafts: Geeky Cross Stitch



An expert stichstress, Caroline is adept at recreating classic gaming scenes scenes, TV and film quotes, and just general geekery in tiny little X’s. View tons more at her Flickr.





A little something I stitched up for my good pals Andrea & James (as they named their kitties after these awesome Simpsons aliens). I felt it was appropriate.



The FFFoF theme this go round was "IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD" so I went with my own person assumption of what may or may not be the downfall of humanity. Are you prepared?

The quote is from YA genre novel "Hollowland" and the zombie is inspired by a cute little animated gif I found ages ago. :)





Possibly the best line spoken by any character in Deathly Hallows. At the midnight premiere I attended, you could feel the entire theatre edging forward on their seats in anticipation when we saw Mrs. Weasley fighting Bellatrix Lestrange, and cheered louder at that than even the Ron/Hermione kiss.

Being the last midnight show, I knew that moments like that were really over. Stitched in the obvious Gryffindor colours, and I hope the border suggests the scarves that so many people around me were wearing. I'll miss this fandom a lot.




So, okay, ClandestineIndustries.com are one of my favourite band-related clothing companies. This was a design on a t-shirt from a few years back and I didn't buy it when I had the chance! It still makes me laugh when I think of it, though, so I shamelessly appropriated it into a very quick stitch.

I have a feeling Pete Wentz will never see this, so I'm not too worried about completely ripping off an old shirt from his clothing line for my own amusement.




If you're unfamiliar with the subject of this stitch, and are amused by gloriously repetitive songs and videos, please turn your speakers up and enjoy the wonder that is Nyan Cat! There are also several fun little flash games you can play with Nyan Cat as the star, just google 'em (but only if you've got time to kill!)

Obviously I take no credit in the design with this one (see here for the history of Nyan Cat), other than the time I took to pause the video a few times and plot it out in PC Stitch in the window opposite.

My problem is that when I see any pixellated image, my first inclination is "I should probably stitch that". It was honestly just a matter of time before I got to Nyan Cat, but I was already on a fabric dying kick from my Natalie Dee Koala piece on teal, so here we have a second try, this time with navy. Looks pretty good, although perhaps a shade darker than I'd planned.

Anyway, cute, eh?




I've been meaning to stitch a TARDIS for awhile, and dudes, I didn't realize how many shades of blue I had in my floss stash until I started plotting it out! Also, the perspective is totally off. I wasn't exactly doing the math.

Don't judge me for using an 11th Doctor quote with the slightly earlier TARDIS design!




Can't wait to keep making more of these old-timey intertitle cards!

I plan on getting more and more ridiculously elaborate with the curlicues and decorations, and trying out different fonts/alphabets. The hard part is nailing down which quotes I want to use!




Being huge fans of the comics and the movie, we were intensely excited for the beat-'em-up xbox game. And hey, I can't look at anything pixellated without wanting to stitch it... so I did!

Screwed up on my counting somewhere on his arm, but was too lazy to rip out the stitches so I just worked around it. Sometimes you just have to deal with mistakes. You know, in case you thought it looked a little wonky.



In early '99 I beat the Ocarina of Time / I'm quite the legend in this town...

I don't take credit for the design of Link-- I admit that I completely ripped him off another sweet Ocarina-themed stitch I saw on spritestitch, and created a new pattern around him. Check out the original here, because it's very cute.

1 comment:

  1. Jinkies! I totally found your site by accident. I was seriously just going through Google images (searching for something unrelated) and recognized one of my pieces, and clicked thinking it would take me to my flickr account, but it lead me here instead.

    I was pleasantly surprised, obviously... But, one minor issue: your copy and pasting of my flickr comments about the stitches doesn't include the links. This is sort of a big deal, as it's very important to give your inspiration its due when something isn't 100% original thought. I'd appreciate it if you'd either remove my comments and let the images stand for themselves, or include the missing links.

    Either way, I'm really flattered, and thanks for liking my work enough to post about it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...