Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Crafts: Cl4p-tp Stained Glass Lamp



Joshua Darke, aka DeviantArt user DarkSolace, spent five months designing and creating this awesome stained glass lamp shaped like Claptrap, the incredibly irritating robot sidekick from the Borderlands video game series.
"Claptrap from Borderlands. It took about 5 months to figure out how, and to actually, complete him. This is the most advance thing I've made to date and am in love with it. I tried to make everything as accurate as I possible could. The medium I used limits that level of accuracy but i was determined to find a way to get as close as I could while staying within the medium and with the limited equipment and knowledge I possess.

The vents in the front and the top piece are actually open, only soldered on the sides and layered on top of each other, and actually function for that purpose. This was my first attempt at making this guy and I learned so much from the process. His arms are made of copper pipe as glass tubing proved impossible to find. I ended up using a blue wine bottle for the base of his eye, it shows as red, or rust, in the game though that color proved impossible to find locally. The lighting turned out to be as much a frustration as the arms, I eventually settled on a T8 12" bulb which you can access by flipping open the top vent that I put on a hinge. The lens in his eye does show through in the front view."









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...