Friday, April 11, 2014

Video: Budavár Visszavétele 3D


"Budavár visszavétele 3D" by Budapest, Hungary-based Zsolt Ekho Farkas

Zsolt Ekho Farkas recreated Benczúr Gyula's 19th-century painting "Budavár Visszavétele" as a 3D model using eight million-polygons.  This three minute video explores his re-creation, revealing some of its fine details by playing with the video's depth of field.  Unlike other paintings that have had motion added to them, the only thing animated in this re-creation of the painting is the smoke.

"We were on holiday solving riddles, and there was a medieval painting in the booklet. My wife asked me if i can do it in 3D?! I said yes, of course. Well... And there was an amazing castle in Nafplion (Palamidi fortress) with exactly 1000 stairs. It was fun to climb up, it wasn't funny to walk down. But it was soooo impressive that i decided to make this scene as soon as we get home!

During the creation I've made a few bad decisions, BUT it was extremely useful and instructive. Seeing this kind of popularity (which i've never thought of), i decided to make another one. Now i know the obstacles, and the parts that i have to make differently. Maybe a 2.5D version could look better, but I WANTED to make it in full 3D; for my wife, and for myself of course ;)

The hungarian and a littlebit detailed "making of" is available on my blog!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...