Monday, February 4, 2013

Sweets: 8-Bit Link Cake


"The Legend of Cupcakes" by ImJustBek
Via: Reddit

ImJustBek baked these as a present to herself on her 35th birthday.  Each individual "pixel" is about the size of a half-dollar and coated with fondant. She writes:
"The reason they are different colored is the poured fondant is really thin and you can see the cake underneath. So Strawberry is pink and Chocolate is brown, et cetera. I added green food coloring to the glaze that went over the gluten free cake so my friend with Celiac Sprue would know which ones were safe. But he didn't eat any off the table but used the ones I had put aside for him in case of cross contamination."

   

"I don't know the official definitions of cake vs cupcakes but I think of cupcake papers when I think of cupcakes. These were baked in a mold that has 1.5x 1.5 inch squares that I then glazed. Kind of like petit fours. Then I made the candies out of wilton melts that I made in the same pan. It took 5 cake mixes. I think of it like a cake but cupcakes could be accurate too."
  

"This seemed so much more fun and challenging. Made a metroid cake for my husbands birthday with the same method. The sheer size of the finished product is awesome. This one was about 36 x 46 inches. Took our entire kitchen table."
  
"I made this last year and didn't think about size reference. It was big. It took white, strawberry, chocolate, yellow, and gluten free cake mixes to get to the right size."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...