Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sculpture: Reclaimed Creations



Ganz was deeply impacted as a child by Japanese Shinto beliefs that all objects and organisms have spirits, and was also taught that objects discarded before the end of their usefulness “weep at night inside the trash bin.” As her artistic side developed, she infused her artwork with these beliefs, using discarded and reclaimed household objects as a medium for her sculptures.



  

   

Ganz says:
"I only select objects that have been used and discarded. My goal is for each object to transcend its origin by being integrated into an animal/ organic forms that are alive and in motion. This process of reclamation and regeneration is liberating to me as an artist.
Building these sculptures helps me understand the situations that surround me. It reminds me that even if there is a conflict right now, there is also a solution in which all the pieces can coexist peacefully. Though there are wide gaps in some areas and small holes in others, when seen from the distance there is great beauty and harmony in our community. Through my sculptures I transmit a message of hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...