Thursday, January 21, 2016

Crafts: Enterprise Bridge Playset


Via: Make

Up close, this may look like a photograph of a television sound stage, but it's actually a tiny handcrafted playset created by uber-geek David Weiberg as a gift to his eight year-old son to compliment a hand-me-down set of Star Trek: The Original Series action figures.

As you can see in the close-up shots, the playset is fantastically detailed, but the best part is that Weiberg has posted step-by-step instructions for making one of your own!  The set was constructed from a combination of wood, styrene, PVC sheeting, and Apoxie putty.  Those tiny chairs were cast from urethane resin.

It might be beyond the skillset of your average hobbyist, but the process is a fascinating read.
"This project started when I found my old Star Trek TOS playmates figures. I gave them to my eight year old son who had become a fan of the old show. He began building simple cardboard play pieces. Inspired by the clean wooden design of some of his other toys I set out to design and create a modular play set that he could use to assemble various rooms aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise. I wanted a set that could break down and store easily. I tried to use scrap materials where I could. The bridge was the biggest challenge so I started there."














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...