Monday, March 5, 2012

Installation: Fractal Salt Mazes


Forest of Beyond by Motoi Yamamoto

It’s not just for french fries and high blood pressure anymore: Yamamoto creates these sprawling labyrinthine designs using nothing salt. Also given to family members at the end of a funeral to ward off evil spirits, Motoi hopes that each line and branch of salt leads him to a memory of his sister, who died of brain cancer. This exhibit is currently showing at Hakone Open Air Museum in Kanagawa, Japan.

"I draw with a wish that, through each line, I am led to a memory of my sister. That is always at the bottom of my work. Each cell-like part, to me, is a memory of her that I call up, like a tiff I had with her over a pudding cake she took from the fridge. My wish is to put such tiny episodes together."



“On March 11 – the 1-year anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami – Yamamoto has invited visitors to help him disassemble his installation. Proceedings will begin at 3:00pm and attendees will be asked to take the salt with them and return it to the sea, thereby completing the cycle. The artwork itself will disappear but the salt will go on and support many living organisms to come.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...