Thursday, January 9, 2014

Portrait: Self Portraits


"I started this project because I wanted to grow as a photographer and to learn. And I did. I remember thinking working with a time limit every week would be very hard for me to do, and it was (balancing school and social life). At some point so much happened around me that I had to skip every second week and I felt so bad about that. There were days I just wanted to lay in bed and do nothing because I was so uninspired and hated everything I created, and days when everything worked out and I got exactly what I had in mind on my memory card. On those good days, I am smiling on my way home. 

This year (and four months) I've spent a huge amount of hours trying to come up with ideas, setting up things and shooting. Sometimes I think I'm crazy for thinking that stealing all the keys from my parent's house to use them as props, trying to shoot at 2 am in the middle of nowhere and almost setting the piano on fire was worth it. Then I think again, and I still think it's worth it.

This project have been completely dominated by self-portraits. The reason for that is not because of egoism or narcissism. I answered this question in an interview once, I said : It's about being as personal as possible. I want to express something, and I want you to feel close to it. Another reason for why I'm doing self-portraits is for the sake of documenting. Each piece reminds me of how I was at that point in my life and I think I will appreciate it later."






"Gold"







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...