Saturday, February 12, 2011

Video: Jim Lee Draws Batman




This is pretty incredible. Jim Lee kind of reminds us why he is who he is. Using the Apple iPad and Sketchbook Pro app, Jim decides to just randomly doodle (the word “doodle” is used very loosely) Batman. What was awesome is that someone films Jim in action!
This is a very sped up clip of me messing around on my iPad. Original video was 20 mins in length; it usually takes me about 60-80 mins to get one of these pieces done using @sketchbookpro. I prefer using my finger to a stylus of any sort–makes it more fun. I honestly have to say this piece was not going in the direction I wanted so I stopped and got back to real work : ) but you get a general sense of how I layer on colors and work positive and negative shapes back and forth to get edges…like in painting.
What makes me crazy when I watched this video was the fact that he does this with his finger! His FREAKIN’ finger! People would kill to be able to do work at this level with just a pencil, but Jim Lee can pull this off with a iPad and his finger. Whats even worse is based on his description, this was not “work” and he thought it wasn’t good. I’m pretty sure 99% of all artists in this world would kill to have something at great in their portfolio. Thank you Jim Lee. You inspire us and bring us down at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...