Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Painting: Alice and Brakebills



I was scrolling through an art-themed Tumblr this morning when I saw this painting.  Before I could click through to check out the title of the piece, I thought to myself that the house in the background looked like Brakebills, from Lev Grossman's The Magicians.  I was a bit bowled over when I realized that was exactly what the painting was supposed to be.  I kind of love the fact that the fantasy genre has so permeated culture that it's everywhere you look.

This beautiful piece is available as a print at The Magicians' Cafepress shop.


Turns out that Lev Grossman saw it, too.  Grossman write:

"When I saw this, the hair stood up on my arms. I mean, this is it: this is the scene, this is what it would have been like. Click through and take a close look at the roof of Brakebills, the detail is just wild. When I look at it, I feel like I could fall into it. I’ve never met Shy — he just read the book, made this, and e-mailed it to me. The original, which is a mega-large file, is even more spectacular and detailed and gorgeous."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...