Monday, January 16, 2012

Artist: Blaz Porenta


Blaz Porenta of Slovenia is an amazing illustrator who seriously rocks your favorite Marvel characters - Thor, Iron Man, Hulk - in a series of comic book cover mock-ups below. He's also a dab hand at fantasy art, as be deftly demonstrates in this rendition of Little Red Riding Hood.


I spent quite some time in the past year working on trial covers for Marvel. I got to pick between Hulk, Captain America, Thor and Iron Man. In the end I decided to do all of them. Here are the results;

When I started working on this piece, I got too deep into the concept of the background story for the cover art. But then it soon became clear that what Marvel wants for the trial covers is the hero in some kind od a pose with some action around him. So here it is... a very pissed off Hulk.

My first choice was to have a bloody Captain America gasping for air, while Red Skull going berserk on top of him. But then I was swiftly transported back to reality and to the previously mentioned key; pose, action, presentation ...

With this one I had the most fun of all. Evil giants, army of the dead, Loki.. and of course, Thor.
Working on Iron Man piece was an interesting experience, to say the least. After several not approved concepts (note to self: Marvel heroes should always win!), I even finished one painting, but it was too painterly looking for the shiny armor of Iron Man. So I had to start all over again, using only basic PS brushes and a simple hero pose.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2-TTc2H5Hew/TVmPldtXuTI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/SyRnhvADEhY/s1600/dreamscape_smallest.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...