Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sculpture: Very Hungry God


"Very Hungry God" by New Delhi-based artist Subodh Gupta
Stainless steel containers and kitchen utensils.
"My work was conceived to be shown in a church in Barbes on the outskirts of Paris which is largely inhabited by an immigrant population. I made the work in response to the stories I read in the news about how soup kitchens in Paris were serving food with pork so that Muslims would not eat it. It was a strange and twisted form of charity that did not continue for long but raised conflicting ideas of giving and the way we have become now.

Outside the church I served vegetarian daal soup as a form of “prasad” (in India when you go to a temple or a guduwara you are offered food with the blessing). I liked the mix of the Catholic church and my intervention using a symbol that many artists have used before – the skull – and its many connotations.”

  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...