Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sweets: Majora’s Mask Cake


"This is a cake I've been wanting to do forever but only recently had time to do it. If you don't recognise it immediately, this is Majora's Mask from the game of the same namesake.

This was definitely a bit of a challenge. By far, the hardest part of the cake to achieve was symmetry. Using a floppy, sticky substance that dries quickly in the air, stretches when lifted and cracks if manipulated too long means you need to work fast. Fast and accuracy aren't best friends. My sister scoffed as I complained about the imperfections. But you gotta strive for perfect, right?

Well, it isn't perfect. But overall, I'm uncharacteristically pleased by the final result. The last few cakes I've done I've started to feel like I'm the boss of the fondant, rather than it controlling me. We understand each other now and so it's not this stressful battle of wills. The result is an ability to create things I wouldn't have dreamed of doing a year ago. There's lots here that could be improved, of course. But it's a work in progress and I, finally, am able to see progression."
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...