Monday, February 2, 2015

Paintings: Groot Watercolor


Groot Watercolor by Chicago-based Tony Moy
A Guardians of the Galaxy Watercolor Tribute
"After seeing the movie..... Groot was awesome... so obviously this had to come together. I. Am. Groot."


"I quickly sketch out his form with pencil on an Aquarelle Watercolor Block. I prefer the Hot press for the smoother surface. Groot has lots of fun textures, so I leave the details for the paint. Once the sketch is in place, i erase the darker lines with a kneaded eraser, and establish the general lightsource with some cadmium yellows, Burnt Umber, and orange iron oxides"
"I decide to establish a bluish/purple shadowed source on the right to give some fun dynamic lighting. I mix some Quinacridone rose with some cerulean blues to get the purples. I use Payne's Grey to darken areas. I keep everything pretty light at this point."
"I got in and start laying out the forms. defining the shapes. I darken shadows with a sepia and layer some deep blues and reds into the shadows as wellI'm using two brushes and flop between a 4 and a 6 for more of the work so far. I purposefully add some drips and splatter in the body and other areas to get some texture down at an early stage. This makes the layering process a bit more organic - which is one of the reasons I enjoy watercolor."
"I fill in the first wash of the background and but the darker or more saturated colors on the edges and to define the figure. I want to reuse similar colors that helped define my lightsource to be reflected in the background. I was hesitant about the purples and yellows, but it works ok here. I begin to mix some hunters green and yellows in to the piece. He's a tree after all."
"I switch to a smaller brush (size 2) to get into some of the details. I define some of the branches on his head and really get into some of the texturing and detailing on his face. I use some drop of alcohol with deep reds for the left side with some pthalo blue on the right. There's some additional texturing in the shadows that probably don't show up to well. I add additional washes to the background as well."
"More splatter effects with watered down titanium white gouache. I start forcing a few more splatters and drips in the body. In the body, I let the watercolors direct what I do next."
"Reducing the amount of water, my brush becomes more saturated with pigment. I force more drip effects and more splattering. I start identifying areas to pull back and push foward with shadows around the shoulder. I follow some outlines defined in the previous splatter step. I put several additional washes across the background with colors as well as watered down white goauche. I use a hair dryer to speed up the time in between the washes. Finally I add some whites with a pen and using an old toothbrush to splatter some opaque white on to the background. And there you have it. Groot from the Guardians of the Galaxy . Let me know if you have any questions. I'll probably post a better scanned pic later. Hope the camera phone pics weren't too bad. I really want to do baby Groot."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...