Monday, May 5, 2014

Vehicle: Jurassic Park Ford Explorer


Jurassic Park Ford Explorer by Christopher Orgeron (Scoodidabop)
Via: Imgur via Reddit via Jalopnik

It takes some serious fanboy love to dedicate yourself to a tribute project of this magnitude for years and years, but damn!  Totally jealous.  Next to the Delorean, this has to be one of the most iconic vehicles in movie history, and Oregeron has nailed it, right down to the cups on the dashboard.  The only thing missing is the bubble dome roof, and he's working on that.  To see a buttload of build photos, check out the Imgur account.  It gives you an idea of just how much work really went into this Explorer.
"Converted this '93 Ford Explorer into a Jurassic Park tour vehicle replica. I've been working on it for over a year and some of the parts have taken more than 2 years to find. It's still not done but enjoy!"
"It's been a long journey I can tell you that. That brush guard took me 3 years to find and I still have yet to locate the screen-accurate running boards and tail light guards. These are parts that haven't been made in 15 years or more so they're getting harder and harder to come by."
"I bought the Explorer on craigslist for $500 after negotiations based on hearing a knock in the motor. I rolled the dice and thought it might be a simple solution, but it turned out I needed to swap the entire engine - which I had never done before. It was a learning experience but I'm happy to try new things."
"As you can see it's very DIY but I'm becoming more and more adamant about having the screen-accurate parts on it. Everything inside the car is screen-accurate so far: the maps, flare case, CRT screens, console. I even built a custom dashboard to match the film but now I'm having to convert the gauges to from analog to digital so they can display on the center screen. Right now the screens play a looping "tour" video that really takes you into the Jurassic Park world for an authentic experience. It's good fun. (Short video preview of it here if you wish to see: http://youtu.be/uaaGVWtvPe0?t=...)"
"The bubble roof is next on the list. There's a local acrylics company that is capable of making it but they're not terribly interested in doing a one-off. It's gonna make the car really scary to drive but I gotta have it... maybe I'll even get a bloody goat leg for it."










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...